Sunday 20 May 2018

My Week in Review to the 20th May

Hope Association book sale 
I'm linking this post up with The Sunday Post at The Caffeinated Reviewer.

I was delighted today to spot that Dani at Perspective Of A Writer included one of my book reviews in her Passport To International Book Travel post - thanks Dani! She's linked to bloggers' posts about books set all over the world some of which are heading straight onto my TBR.

You might have spotted my Bicycle Accident post on Thursday? I'm happy to say that, other than an overdramatic purple and yellow bruise across my stomach, both I and my bike are fine. I've done a couple more rides since and am still loving exploring the local countryside 'en velo', but I now know to double check the brake cables as well as all the folding points. Sometimes it seems to take longer to prepare for a ride than to actually cycle.

We've been out and about quite a bit this week, I'm glad to say. The Hope Association book sale at Clussais la Pommeraie this weekend was Amazing!! Just look at all the books in the photo at the top of this post! And that was just one of the rooms! Thousands of second-hand books in good condition at just €1 each and all supporting a good cause too. We came away with six books - aren't you impressed at my restraint! - and also treated ourselves to a Coffee and Cake lunch. If you're near Clussais la Pommeraie in October - and why wouldn't you be? - there's another book sale on the 19th, 20th and 21st.

And the Atwood is signed! 

We cycled to the regular Chef Boutonne market yesterday morning and this afternoon drove in the other direction to Ardilleux for their Farmer's Market / Vide Grenier (car boot sale). There weren't as many stalls as we had hoped, but this was a very French affair in contrast to yesterday's English-style fete. We were delighted to snap up a box of ten large vintage Kilner-type jars for €5 the lot. Bargain!

One of my favourite Etsy shops, Poody And Berty, has a 10% off sale until the end of May. This is where I bought my beautiful Sleeping Eye Mask which I love so I am happy to recommend them.

We went on a lovely rural walk on Wednesday. Starting from the church at Luché-sur-Brioux, we went on to Tilleul and then found a stunning riverside picnic spot at Sompt. We later had an Exciting Wildlife Sighting at the old Laverie - a half-dozen or so Perez Frogs. Actually we heard them first - very noisy for such small animals! We also spotted a Swallowtail Butterfly. The countryside around here isn't as dramatic as other places we have walked, but I love it all the same.

Luché-sur-Brioux church 


Sompt laverie

Perez Frog 

Around the blogosphere:

InLinkz - who provide the widgets for my Giveaway Linkup and Spotlight Giveaway - have written this excellent post about GDPR and what it means for bloggers.

Anne Goodwin at Annecdotal reviews two books about Disgraced Daughters: Circe and The Butcher's Daughter.

I made a batch of my new-favourite flatbread, Pumpkin Phulka, from this recipe at Sandhya's Kitchen. I actually used Sweet Potato instead of Pumpkin and think that any mashable veg would work just as well.

Here's what you might have missed Across My Blogs this week. Click the images to visit the pages ... and don't forget to enter all the Giveaways!

 

Artisan Rainbow

Literary Flits

Stephanie Jane

M
O
N
D
A
Y
T
U
E
S
D
A
Y
W
E
D
N
E
S
D
A
Y
T
H
U
R
S
D
A
Y
F
R
I
D
A
Y
S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y
S
U
N
D
A
Y

10 comments:

  1. I haven't been on a bicycle in years. Glad that you didn't get seriously hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy about it too! It would have been awful to have been scared off cycling again.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you didn't suffer any serious injuries with your mishap. The places you go are so gorgeous!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! We're very lucky with our travels :-)

      Delete
  3. I love riding a bike but don't have one at the moment. Shopping for one though. Glad to hear you weren't badly injured and are already back out there. That book sale looks awesome! And thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find yourself a nice bike. I think there's nothing quite like a lovely cycle ride :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh I love browsing used books like that. I would have been in that place all day probably! Glad your bike accident wasn't worse- sorry that happened!

    Love the pics of the countryside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already planning how I can stay for much longer at the October book sale. Need to find a way to keep OH better entertained!

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the bike accident. I still have scars on my arm from when I wiped out on my bike as a kid. That book sale looks amazing. I love all your photos. Have a good week.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a horrible bike fall as a kid too, but fortunately no lasting damage.

      Delete