|Medieval tombstones at the Calvary|
One of Sant Mateu's prides is 260m of Montesian style masonry walls which are certainly an impressive sight. This section was restored in 1995. Originally 1600m of wall encircled the town at an average height of 6m. It was built between 1357 and 1380 and was the second significant enclosure to be constructed here. An earlier wall protecting the then much smaller settlement around St Peter's Church had been built in the 13th century.
|Sant Mateu town walls|
Other more official sights we explored included the public laundries two of which exist and one of which is still open and even appears to be used. We also popped into both churches which were remarkably not-gaudy and gilted, and peered up at the bell tower, unusual due to its having eight-sides. Sant Mateu council has arranged for small placards at most of the historic sites of interest. Written in several languages, including English, they give a good idea of the town's past and meant we were never in need of a guidebook - which was great because the Tourist Office is shut on Mondays!
|Sant Mateu main square|
|Those Romans woz ere too!|