Tuesday 4 April 2023

The Registration by Madison Lawson + Author Interview


Book Details:

​Book TitleThe Registration (a Novel) by Madison Lawson
Category:  Adult Fiction (18 +),  320 pages
GenreThriller
Publisher:  CamCat Books
Release date:  September 2022
Content RatingPG-13 + MThere is violence, including a torture scene, and some language, as well as mention of domestic violence, abuse, murder, and abortions. 



Book Description:

You can’t outrun the Registration.

Imagine it’s legal to commit one murder in your lifetime⎯if you Register the victim and accomplish the kill within fourteen days. So when Lynell Mize stands in line to Register the man who abused her as a child, she’s shocked to hear a stranger Register her to be killed. Why would anyone who doesn't know her squander his one legal murder on her? Desperate to survive the next two weeks, she must find out who wants to kill her⎯and why.

​Easier said than done as Lynell soon discovers that multiple strangers have used their Registration on her. Along the way, she reunites with her estranged husband who is determined to dig up a past Lynell prefers to keep buried. With only days left to live, Lynell fights to uncover the truth and survive a destiny not of her choosing.



Author Interview with Madison Lawson

What draws you to the genre you write in?

When I’m writing sci-fi, dystopian, or fantasy, I like being able to create how the world works, so I’m not married to any system we know in real life. But more than that, I like being able to exaggerate one part of life to better explore it and how it affects relationships. 

When it comes to thriller, suspense, and darker genres, my favorite part is simply the darkness. I’ve always been a Wednesday Addams/Louise Belcher type who watches IT to cheer me up on bad days and reads serial killer books in my downtime. As a kid, I liked shocking people. As an adult and an author, I love telling stories that scare people and explore the more gruesome aspects of humanity. 

What’s a fun fact about yourself?

Over the course of eight years, I’ve lived in Hawaii, Amsterdam, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, and North Carolina. 

What are some go-to books you like to recommend to people?

I have an entire list of books to recommend organized by genre. Here are just a few from different genres:
Any book by SJ Maas, but most start with A Court of Thorns and Roses
Any book by Colleen Hoover, but most start with It Ends With Us or Verity (if you read a Hoover book, make sure you look up triggers)
Any book by Karin Slaughter, but Pretty Girls is probably her most popular (again, look up triggers)
Know My Name by Chanel Miller
Night Film by Marisha Pessl
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
Red White And Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
Death Warrant by Bryan Johnston 
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante 
Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

What made you decide you wanted to be a writer?

It’s cliché, but I’ve kind of always wanted to be a writer. I never really fit in as a kid, and I escaped into books as often as possible and started writing my own stories early on. I finished my first book “Crystal Clear” when I was 11 (it’s horrible), and my grandpa read it, gave me notes, and told me not to give up. So, I haven’t. 

If you could put yourself as a character in your book, who would you be?

If it has to be The Registration, then I would be Daniel’s sister. The reader never actually meets her, but that just means she’s living a more peaceful life.

But if I could choose a character from any book, I’d pick Princess Amari Crystalice from an upcoming fantasy novel. 


Meet the Author:

Author Madison Lawson writes speculative fiction novels full of suspense, social commentary, and complex relationships. She has published a dozen short stories, many of which won awards such as the Koresh Award and the Gordone Award. She received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University and is currently earning her M.A. in English at North Carolina State University. Born and raised in a small Texas town, Madison began escaping through reading and writing as soon as she could.

connect with the author: website twitter facebook instagram ~ goodreads





No comments:

Post a Comment