Wednesday 5 April 2023

The Connection Game: A Novel by S.S Turner + Author Interview


Book Details:

Book Title:  The Connection Game: A Novel by S.S Turner
Category:  Adult Fiction (18+) ,  272 pages
GenreLiterary Fiction
PublisherThe Story Plant
Release date:   Feb 2023
Content RatingPG: There’s some violence and a small bit of profanity.
"A one-of-a-kind tale ... a surprising and entertaining piece of work."
- Bill Fitzhugh, author of A Perfect Harvest.

Book Description:

Benny Basilworth makes connections. A rare intellect, he sees things that others don't see and draws conclusions that others completely fail to grasp. He has the kind of mind that can make a person a national sensation on the television gameshow "The Connection Game"– and the kind of mind that can be the target of predators.

Despite his brilliance, Benny and his family find themselves destitute, living in a basement apartment with one tiny window that affords them only the view of the feet of passersby on the street above. It is from this vantagepoint that Benny once again starts making connections. Mad, inconceivable connections. Connections that can change lives . . . and turn the entire world upside down.

​Humorous, surprising, wise, and remarkably perceptive, The Connection Game is a novel unlike any other and one that you are unlikely to forget.

BUY THE BOOK:
The Story Plant
Amazon ~ B&N ~ Indigo
Kobo ~ IndieBound 
add to goodreads


Author Interview with S S Turner

Which was the hardest character to write in The Connection Game? 

The hardest character to write in The Connection Game was Will, the son in the Basilworth family. Will was hard to write because he lives in the shadows of his father’s brilliance while he also worships him on occasion. This tension at the heart of Will’s character was challenging to get right which explains why his character evolves dramatically as the story progresses. 

And the easiest?

The easiest character to write was the protagonist Benny Basilworth because I had such a clear picture in mind for Benny and his journey. I found Benny a fascinating character to create from a psychological perspective. His father never loved him or showed him any affection. In fact, the only time his father ever praised him was when he won prizes and awards. As a result, Benny learnt from a young age that his only value in the world was through his mental abilities. So that’s all Benny focused upon developing. I think there are many people like Benny Basilworth in the world today, particularly men who don’t invest in their emotional or spiritual wellbeing. Benny’s story is the story of where this pathway can lead when it’s untethered to emotional health. 

Where do you get inspiration for your stories?

I often find my best ideas jump into my head when I’m jogging at the beach, relaxing, or falling asleep at night. They’re the moments when my sub-conscious is most generous in sharing story ideas with my conscious mind. Where my subconscious comes up with this stuff is more opaque. Who knows where stories really come from?

The Connection Game is set in London. Have you ever been there?

Yes, I lived in London for a decade so writing about it as the setting for The Connection Game was a natural experience for me. I had a great time living in London and grew to love its diversity, variety, beauty, and vibrancy. When I wrote The Connection Game, I felt like I was back there, reliving London from the unique perspective of the Basilworth family. It was a more urgent, suspenseful experience of the city than my own. I loved it.

What’s your next project?

I’m nearing the completion of my third novel which is titled Golden. 

It’s the story of Will Watson, a British man who’s been dumped by his girlfriend and fired from his job. Things aren’t going his way. The only good thing in Will’s life is his golden retriever Mia who adores him. Then one day, Will receives a rare piece of good news. He wins a raffle ticket to attend the Make Australia Green Again Music Festival in Maleny, Queensland. It’s a dream come true and the chance to start again after a bad break-up. However, when he arrives in Australia Will discovers a backward society where he’s regarded as unemployable and unfriendable. He soon realizes his new life is worse than the one he escaped from. But he must stay in Australia as he can’t afford the airfare back to the UK. After an extensive job search, the only job he’s offered is as a rubbish collector for an unethical company. Will accepts the job which provides him a unique view of the corrupt community he’s living in. 

Just as he’s starting to adapt to his challenging new existence, Will receives the worst news of his life: Mia has cancer and only has months to live. Will feels like his time is running out as Mia’s is because he views her as the best part of him. He wants to ask her so many questions while he still can as he’s certain she’s the only one with the answers… Where is home for him? Why are the locals acting so strange? How can anyone live a meaningful life? So he enlists the help of Miranda Minsky, a pet whisperer, to communicate with Mia while there’s time left to learn the truth. 

What Will learns about himself shocks him. And what he discovers about the community he’s living in leads to an unforgettable showdown with a town which has lost its way. 

Is there a specific ritualistic thing you do during your writing time? 

Yes. I love music and always listen to it when I’m writing. As the music geek I am, I even match the music to the vibe of the scene I’m writing. For example, if I’m writing a mysterious scene with a lot going on beneath the surface, I’ll often listen to Max Richter’s beautifully enigmatic music. And if I’m after something a little more energetic, I’ll often turn up Of Monsters and Men to get my creative juices flowing. Listening to great music when I’m writing definitely helps me get into the creative flow. 

If you were stuck on a deserted island, which 3 books would you want with you? 

I’d take with me:

Life of Pi because I love the way the story provides alternative yet compelling views of the same reality,
The Catcher in the Rye for its uniquely honest vision of the thoughts running through the narrator’s head, and
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because it’s like a time machine which allows readers to experience life in an earlier, simpler time in all its glory. 

Any hobbies? 

We live on a few acres in the countryside so I’ve become a gardener by choice and necessity. These days, I can often be found cutting, pruning and weeding. When I was younger I couldn’t think of anything less exciting than gardening, but I’ve been surprised by how interesting it is. I’ll often come face to face with a fascinating creature like a python or a bandicoot which is like meeting a species from another planet. The other day, a four-meter python crawled inside our gardening shed for a nap.


Meet the Author:

S.S. Turner has been an avid reader, writer, and explorer of the natural world throughout his life, which has been spent in England, Scotland, and Australia. He worked in the global fund management sector for many years but realized it didn't align with his values. In recent years, he's been focused on inspiring positive change through his writing as well as trying not to laugh in unfortunate situations. He now lives in Australia with his wife, daughter, two dogs, two cats, and ten chickens. He is the author of one previous novel, Secrets of a River Swimmer.

connect with the author: 


Win an ebook copy of THE CONNECTION GAME (one winner) (ends April 18)

THE CONNECTION GAME Book Tour Giveaway



No comments:

Post a Comment