Friday 10 June 2016

Perfect Banana Cake recipe

I know I am setting myself up for a fall by calling this a
'perfect' recipe, but it turned out so well that I don't think I could have done anything better! I wanted to take a cake to an afternoon tea with friends yesterday so baked a banana cake as I had everything to hand. I blogged a Bread Machine Banana Bread recipe a couple of years ago, but we no longer have the bread machine. I debated using the slow cooker, but wasn't sure I had actually left myself enough time by that point so this cake is oven baked.

Banana Cake 
Ingredients
75g sultanas
1 tbsp rum
125g butter
150g demerara sugar
1 egg, beaten
2-3 ripe bananas
180g plain white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
60ml milk

Preheat the oven to 180c.
Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.

Put the sultanas into a cup with the rum and set aside.

Mash the bananas into a bowl and set aside.

Put the butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.

Add the mashed bananas and the rum-soaked sultanas. Stir well.

Add the egg and stir well again, but don't whisk.

Stir in the flour and spices. When combined, add the milk.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.

Bake at 180c for about 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. If the top of the cake browns before the centre is cooked through, loosely cover it with aluminium foil, shiny down down.

Leave the cake to cool before trying to remove it from the tin.

My cake did need a little 'encouragement' to leave the tin so I might use a greaseproof paper liner next time I bake it. It did feel quite heavy as a whole cake, but the slices were beautifully moist and very tasty!

4 comments:

  1. This Banana Cake recipe can also be baked in a slow cooker. It's the same instructions up until pouring in to loaf tin. Instead, pour into slow cooker pot and cook on high for two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I really love this recipe! It sounds like a great way to make banana bread - I may give it a try to do an alternative to my own as well :) Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete