Tuesday 6 June 2023

BEST BUDDIES: WHAT'S IN A NAME? by Mother Melania



Book Details:

Book TitleBest Buddies: What's in a Name? by Mother Melania Salem
Category:  Children's Fictions (ages 3-7), 32 pages
Genre:  Children's Picture Book
Publisher:  Holy Assumption Monastery
Release date:   December, 2022
Content Rating:  G - This is a children's picture book. It does deal with homelessness, but in a way that is appropriate for young children. There is nothing graphic and no bad language. 
Book Description:

What happens when a homeless dog befriends a homeless teen? Join them and find out!

Plus Mother Melania is giving away free pdf copies of her book via bookfunnel during this tour! Click this link to get yours

A Brief Encounter: What Johnny Taught Me by Mother Melania
I was walking briskly to catch my bus one evening, when I overtook a man who was meandering along.  Without much thought, I smiled at him and asked him how he was doing.  He turned to look at me, and that’s when I realized that he was homeless.  The look he gave me?  I still can’t describe it.  The closest I can get to it is a mixture of “Do you realize that I’m homeless?” and “Can’t you see I’m not doing well?” with a willingness to think that I might actually care about him in his plight.  
That look kept me from walking past him.  I asked if he needed something to eat, and he said yes.  Another two questions and I knew that his name was Johnny and that he would like to go to MacDonald’s.  So, we went there, and I told him to get whatever he wanted.  All he wanted was a Big Mac and a Coke.  I offered to get him more, but he refused.  I did need to catch my bus soon.  So, I didn’t get a chance to learn his story.  I said goodbye, he gave me a hug, and I went off to catch my bus.
And that’s that. I never met Johnny again, but I have never forgotten him and I hope I never will.  In that short encounter, I learned an enormous amount.  He taught me to see the person beside me, to be willing to think well of a stranger, to be thankful for the gift of the present moment.  Above all, he taught me how deeply loving and thankful a person can be in the most difficult circumstances.  Johnny, I hope I have picked up a few of your good qualities.  Wherever you are, thank you and God bless you!

Meet the Author:

Mother Melania is the Abbess of Holy Assumption Monastery in Calistoga, CA. She grew up in a house that always had tons of children around, her poor parents had to read to her till they were hoarse, and from the moment she learned to read, she always had her nose in a book. So, it was only natural for her to grow up to write children's books.

She has written three series of specifically Orthodox children's books - all in verse - which celebrate the high points of God's work of salvation in the Person of Christ. Her remaining series teach children the virtues in a fun, non-preachy way.

Fearless and Friends chronicles the lives of Fearless the Fireduck (think 'fireman,' except that he's a DUCK) and Charity the Church Mouse and their friends, who get in and out of trouble based on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of their actions.

The Adventures of Kenny and Scooter is a minimal-word series featuring six-year-old Kenny and his irrepressible Boston Terrier Scooter, who take turns getting into trouble and rescuing each other from their foolish antics.

​With all her books, Mother Melania is trying to celebrate virtue and God's saving work in our lives.


connect with the author: website 

Enter the Giveaway:
Win a signed copy of BEST BUDDIES: WHAT’S IN A NAME?, plus $25 Amazon Gift Card (one winner / USA only) (ends Jun 30)
BEST BUDDIES: WHAT'S IN A NAME? Book Tour Giveaway



4 comments: