You can read my previous years' posts through this link and visit the Plastic Free July website for inspiration and encouragement with your own challenge.
Some of my favourite plastic avoidances are:
1. Collecting glass jars for my store cupboard and fridge instead of buying rolls of clingfilm or plastic tubs.
2. Using upcycled cotton dishpads and coconut scourers for washing up instead of plastic 'sponges'.
3. Making my own Mouthwash and Toothpaste, and using a Bamboo Toothbrush.
4. Buying produce such as fruit and veg, nuts and dried fruit, oats, etc, loose rather than prepackaged.
Other ideas are to:
1. Refuse plastic straws in drinks.
2. Use and reuse a flask instead of buying bottled water.
3. Avoid expensive pre-chopped fruit and vegetables.
Plastic Free July is a time to try out different ideas and to be inspired by sharing tips and hacks with a global community. It's not a question of launching into a Plastic Free life overnight, but of each of us taking small steps to reduce our plastic consumption. Together we really can make a difference!
The hardest part initially for me to get used to was being prepared. It's now second nature to keep a cotton shopping bag rolled up in my handbag, or to carry a water flask when we go walking, but this wasn't always the case. For miserly me, it helps that Plastic Free solutions are often cheaper in the long run and I do love saving money! They're not always as convenient though so I needed to be aware of planning until the new habits were established.
For example my £4.99 water flask easily paid for itself within a couple of months and it's still going strong after two years. But it wouldn't have been any good buying the flask if I never remembered to fill and carry it, therefore still buying bottled water as well! Preparation is key!
And if you want to treat yourself to a Plastic Free solution or two so you are all set for Plastic Free July, I might have just the Giveaway for you here! Ethical Superstore stocks a good Plastic Free range of products (as well as many other fair trade, organic and eco-friendly products) and I have a £10 Ethical Superstore gift voucher to give away! Simply enter through the Gleam widget below:
£10 Ethical Superstore gift voucher giveaway
The Giveaway is open to the UK and ROI until the 3rd June and I will pick a winner on the 4th. Please be aware that Ethical Superstore only deliver within the UK and the Republic Of Ireland so if you don't have a delivery address in these countries you will not be able to use the voucher!
The giveaway is entirely my own and is not endorsed by either Plastic Free July or Ethical Superstore.