Thursday, 3 August 2017

BeeBeeWraps plastic free food storage - a product review

BeeBeeWraps trio 
I spotted BeeBeeWraps when I researched July's Top Ten Etsy Finds and loved the idea of these pretty food storage solutions. I was delighted when Kath then got in touch to ask if I would like to 'road test' a set. I have now been using my Lunch Pack trio of BeeBeeWraps for a week and am seriously impressed with the product.

Each BeeBeeWrap is made with 100% organic cotton food wrap infused with beeswax and plant oils. This well-honed recipe makes it tacky and perfect for wrapping cheese, sandwiches, bread, fruit and salad, or for making pockets to carry snacking nuts and trail mix. Unwrapping a BeeBeeWrapped sandwich results in the stiffened fabric becoming a perfect picnic 'plate' too. They're so versatile! My primary use for my wraps this week has been as a cling film replacement for refrigerated foods and I am happy to report that I have not found myself reaching for that plastic roll at all. I was told that the only foods to be avoided are raw meats and fish, and hot food needs to cool before being wrapped or the wax will melt!

The different sizes of wrap are well thought out with each size seemingly just right for each use I found for it. The smallest is 15x15 cm which is perfect for lemon halves or covering my mini pyrex bowls. The medium is 23x23 cm which suited cheeses, bread rolls and covering middly sized bowls. As you can see in these photos I wasn't going to risk Dave's nasty blue cheese in my brand new BeeBeeWraps, but having used, washed and reused each one several times now I am sure they would be fine. They don't seem to absorb odours at all. The large is 30x30 cm which was just right for half a homebaked loaf although there is also an extra large size, 55x45 cm which is intended for whole loaves.


Using and caring for each wrap is simplicity itself. The warmth from my hands shaped each wrap around my containers and foods within a few seconds and once the beeswax had moulded to shape the wraps didn't move. This was so much easier than trying to keep cling film from sticking to itself or having it not stick to anything if condensation made it damp! Once in the fridge BeeBeeWraps harden further creating a breathable seal and kept all my food fresh for as long as I needed (up to four days on a piece of cheddar cheese. I noticed that cheese especially seemed to prefer BeeBeeWrap storage to plastic. I had previously noticed cheeses getting 'sweaty' in airtight plastic tubs. This did not happen at all with the wraps. Once their use was finished, I dunked each wrap in cold water and wiped them over to clean them before leaving them to dry naturally and using them again.

In response to the comment about cleaning, I received this response from Kath which I posted in the Comments and have also edited in here. Kath suggests not only cleaning with cold water but also pasteurizing the wraps in the oven at 130oC on greaseproof paper for a minute, once every couple of months. It helps to prolong the life of work too.

Kath says 'love your BeeBeeWrap and it will last six to twelve months. Then simply throw on the compost!' I would add 'and buy another set!'

Financially speaking BeeBeeWraps work out more expensive than just clingfilm so I wouldn't save money purely on that swap. However having foods last longer in the fridge in a wrap than they do swathed in plastic, especially expensive cheeses and fresh fruits like cut lemons, will significantly reduce our wastage over the year and that all adds up. I like that the organic cotton wraps are a natural and safe alternative to cling film and plastic pots. We are not risking plastic toxins leaching into our food, plus reusable and then compostable wraps mean no landfill waste at all. All in all I am completely sold on BeeBeeWraps and look forward to supporting this small Cambridge business for a long time to come.


3 comments:

  1. Mine arrived this week and I have to say I am both surprised and impressed by their stickiness. Can you advise though with regard to washing. I know the package says they are washable but exactly how did you do it? Is it a case of a rinse under the tap or do you think they will take a more brutal scrubbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have managed mine with a dunking in cold water followed by a wipe over, or once a quick daub with a sponge, and that has been enough. They seem to be pretty resilient though so a scrub might be ok? I've been told I can use a mild soap if necessary. I believe it's most important to just avoid warm water that would melt the beeswax or anything to scratchy that would gouge the coating. Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
    2. Hi Steph, that's a wonderful blog post. Thank you so much and I'm thrilled you love them.
      In response to the comment about cleaning I've recently started advising on not only cleaning with cold water but pasteurizing in the oven at 130oC on greaseproof paper for a minute. It helps to prolong the life of work too. My new packaging will include this information and the website will soon be updated too.
      Do let me know how you get on and if you come up with any interesting ways to use them.
      Thanks so much again
      Kath

      Delete