Thursday, 18 May 2017

#ThrowbackThursday - where we were on this day in Mays past

Early Spring by Eric Slater 
I wasn't sure whether to go ahead with this Throwback Thursday post when I realised that its date would be the 18th of May. My Mum died on this day four years ago and it is still a difficult anniversary to get through even though I try to ignore it in favour of remembering the happy times of Mum's birthday a week later.

On this day in 2012, a year beforehand, I blogged about a fascinating art exhibition held at Eastbourne's Towner Gallery. Entitled Point Of Departure, its theme was primarily paintings and photographs of the coast between Newhaven and Beachy Head, the port through which so many thousands of travellers have passed, and the white cliffs that are the first sight of Britain when returning home. The exhibition featured a small section dedicated to the print artist Eric Slater who swiftly became one of my favourites.

So, as already explained, I'd rather just forget this point in May 2013 and I notice I just blogged recipes at the time rather than actually writing proper posts. This Salmon And Pesto Penne concoction is still one of our favourites.

On the 18th of May 2014 I blogged about a new job I had just found I had been successful in getting. Only temporary, but it meant I had the summer working as part of a good team at Wealden District Council. Dave and I had recently collected our new-to-us car as well as putting our Polegate house on the market so things were definitely looking up and, as it turned out, my whole life was going to change!

New boots! 
By this time in May 2015 our UK caravan tour was well underway. We were in Yorkshire and had just spent a good day in and near to Bakewell and Eyam. The museums there are both definitely worth a visit and we took the opportunity to devour a genuine Bakewell-baked Bakewell Tart! I was also delighted to buy these Gabor boots at the Peaklander Factory Shop. Two years later they are still going strong, albeit a bit scuffed around the toes!

And last year we had just paid our first visit to Cockington Court near Torquay. We had decided to put down new roots in Torbay and were starting to explore our new home. Cockington is a beautiful village and manor house with walking opportunities, artisan studios and workshops, art exhibition space and a cafe. There's also a cricket pitch where we said we must go to watch a game on a sunny afternoon. We still haven't though and I caught myself making exactly the same suggestion when we were back there last week!

Cockington Court 

No comments:

Post a Comment