Thursday, 5 January 2017

#WorldReads - five books from New Zealand

If this is your first visit to my WorldReads blog series, the idea of the posts is to encourage reading of global literature. On the 5th of each month I highlight five books I have read from a particular country and you can see links to previous countries at the end of this post.

For the first WorldReads of 2017 I have chosen to reminisce about five books I read by New Zealand authors. I still haven't gotten around to starting The Luminaries so that book doesn't feature here. Instead I have chosen five perhaps lesser-known authors and books of theirs that I have enjoyed. And, if these aren't enough for you, there will be another New Zealand authored book featured on Literary Flits today (post published at noon)!


The Second Stage Of Grief by Katherine Hayton

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

My first selection is by indie author Katherine Hayton. The Second Stage Of Grief is the second in her Ngaire Blakes police procedural series and I particularly liked the portrayal of a poor Maori community which makes up part of this novel. I discovered Hayton via KindleScout and this is the third of her books I've enjoyed. I already have a fourth waiting on my Kindle!



The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the book from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the hardback from The Book Depository
Buy the hardback from Waterstones

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

A 1980s YA novel by Maori author Witi Ihimaera is my second choice. I loved how Maori myths were interwoven through this tale of a young girl overcoming her grandfather's stubborn chauvinism. It's a moving story with a strong environmental theme.


Mr Thorne And The Witch by Diana Green

Buy the book via Abebooks
Buy the ebook from Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

I discovered Diana Green, another indie author, though a Beck Valley Book Tour in which I participated. This novella is a fun fantasy romance set in a version of mid-nineteenth century England. It's quite a light-hearted read and a good heart-warming diversion for a cold winter evening.


A Straits Settlement by Brian Stoddart

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository
Buy the paperback from Waterstones

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

1920s Madras is the setting for this historical crime mystery and I thought Stoddart does a great job of evoking both the place and the period. A Straits Settlement is actually the third novel in its series, but I had no problem reading it as a standalone story.


Coming Rain by Stephen Daisley

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the ebook from Amazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository
Buy the paperback from Waterstones

Read my original book review on Stephanie Jane

A NetGalley find, Coming Rain is the most literary of my five New Zealand novels and is actually set in the harsh world of rural 1950s Australia. Parallel storylines follow two itinerant sheep-shearers and a pair of wild dingoes as both humans and animals try to survive their situations. I found it took me a while to get into Daisley's writing style, but once I did, this was a powerful book.


That's it for January's WorldReads from New Zealand. I hope I have tempted you to try reading a book from this country! Please do Comment your own favourite New Zealand books below and if you fancy buying any of the five I have suggested, clicking through the links from this blog to do so would mean I earn a small commission payment.

If you missed any earlier WorldReads posts, we have already 'visited' Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, ItalyNigeriaSouth Africa and Spain. In February I will be highlighting five books by Swedish authors. See you on the 5th to find out which ones!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like SUCH a great idea, Stephanie! I'm so very overcommitted for this year, or I would have thought about joining this one too :D Good luck withyour challenge! Hope 2017 proves to be a great reading year for you!

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete