Saturday, 5 November 2016

#WorldReads - five books from Spain

If this is your first visit to my WorldReads blog series, the idea of the posts is to encourage reading of global literature. On the 5th of each month I highlight five books I have read from a particular country and you can see links to previous countries at the end of this post.

November 2016's WorldReads post is celebrating Spanish literature and I have found five very different books to present to you. Hopefully at least one will entice you to try reading a book from Spain! In a cross-blog tie-in, I am also posting another Spanish book review at noon on Literary Flits, Berta La Larga by Cuca Canals.


Omnia by Laura Gallego

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from Speedyhen
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

I was impressed with my NetGalley find, Omnia, which is science fiction set mostly in the headquarters of a company that claims to be able to sell and ship any item to anywhere in the universe within a day of purchase. Remind you of anyone? It's an entertaining and cleverly written novel and I loved the irony of its English translation being an AmazonCrossing publication.


The Swimmers by Joaquin Perez Azaustre

Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Search for this author on Abebooks
Search for this author on Alibris

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

Another NetGalley find, The Swimmers is a far more literary novel than Omnia and, to be perfectly honest, I often found myself a tad lost. The writing itself is beautiful with great descriptive sweeps and insightful observations, however I struggled to work out just what was meant to be going on.


The Corpse Reader by Antonio Garrido

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the book from Alibris
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository

Read my original book review on Stephanie Jane

A full five stars for this fascinating historical novel set in medieval China. It's the story of Song Ci, a man reduced in circumstances to a lowly gravedigger, but who used his experiences to develop the beginnings of what is now forensic science. The Corpse Reader is amazingly well researched and written and I highly recommend it to historical fiction and crime fiction fans.


The New Art of Writing Plays by Lope De Vega

Buy the book from Abebooks
Buy the book from Alibris
Buy the ebook from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository

Read my original book review on Stephanie Jane

This book is an essay by the great Lope De Vega, a playwright working around Shakespeare's time and who should be just as famous. I downloaded it from ForgottenBooks and, despite having been written hundreds of years ago, it still contains relevant advice for budding playwrights today although Lope De Vega doesn't give away all his secrets obviously! There's an interesting lengthy introduction by Brander Matthew as well.


The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Buy the book from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from Speedyhen
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository
Buy the paperback from Waterstones

Read my original book review on Literary Flits

A young adult mystery novel for my final Spanish choice although this book is more than suitable for adult readers too. I loved Zafon's descriptions of 1930s Calcutta and the fabulous decrepit railway station. It's a pretty exciting tale too!


That's it for November's WorldReads from Spain. Please do Comment your own favourite Spanish books below and if you fancy buying any of the five I have suggested, clicking through the links from this blog to do so would mean I earn a small commission payment. Thank you!

If you missed any earlier WorldReads posts, we have already 'visited' Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy and Nigeria. Next month's post will highlight books from South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment