Saturday, 11 June 2016

Love the Fruit Bat Juice Cafe in Cheam

I drove up to London to see my sister yesterday. She lives
in Sutton, but as a treat we went over to Cheam for a wander around the shops and a visit to the weekly Friday market at the Parochial Rooms.

Our main destination though was the wonderfully named Fruit Bat Juice Cafe. Located on Broadway, the Fruit Bat is run by Alfie and Karen and has a bewildering array of juice combinations from which to choose and they are all freshly made to order. You can make up your own blends too. There's a choice of indoor or outdoor seating, newspapers and juicing books to read as you sip, and some beautiful artworks for sale on the walls. I forgot to check the artist's name so please  omment if you know.

I was feeling a tad uncomfortable after a curry the night before so Karen suggested a soothing blend including coconut milk, ginger and yoghurt. It was absolutely delicious. My sister had a super-healthy green concoction and, in a nice touch, we both got a shot glass sized taster of the other's juice choice so I know her drink was good too! In order not to overdo the healthiness, we also shared a couple of cakes - although they were both gluten-free! We can highly recommend the Lime Polenta slice and the Pear And Ginger Muffins.

Suitably refreshed, we had a tour of the nearby charity shops. Cheam does have good charity shops. I absolutely didn't buy any books though.

Absolutely none at all.

And if you believe that ... !

Upcoming Literary Flits book reviews are very likely to include another J M Coetzee novel: Waiting For The Barbarians, as well as Between Shades Of Grey by Ruta Sepetys, Bitter Fruit by Achmat Dangor and Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse.

2 comments:

  1. What a brilliantly named cafe
    No one should ever feel bad about buying books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I had promised myself I wouldn't buy more books until I'd read at least a few of my backlog. This caravan just isn't big enough!

      Delete