Friday, 13 November 2015

Top Five Etsy Finds - Provence

As we have changed country again and are now in France I knew I
http://tidd.ly/d6fd8e3c
Postcard From Provence by SallyWinterEtching 
definitely wanted my Etsy Top Five for November to have a French influence. When I realised we would be in Provence, I wondered if there would be enough choice of handmade items to do justice to this wonderful region. Of course the Etsy artists and artisans didn't disappoint!

Before I show you #myetsyfive for Provence though, a few shops were linked up to last month's Textile Tools post so I will give them a mention: Doodlestop has wooden yarn buddies, a hairpin lace loom and fun sheep yarn gauges. QuincePie makes knitting bags, needle cases and needle rolls from fabulous fabrics. MaidOfClay has a great punning shop name and makes personalised pottery items including yarn bowls. WildThymeArt has an array of needle felting supplies including roving, tools and books. If you want your favourite (or even your own) Etsy shop included in next month's Top Five, add its link to the widget at the end of this post!

My first Provence choice is the Sally Winter etching pictured at the top of this page. It is entitled Postcard From Provence and shows a view from Fayence. I love the gorgeous colours of the rooftops. Hand inked and printed, this is one of only five remaining from an edition of 100.
The print is priced at £109 plus shipping.

Coloured shutters are a distinctive feature of Provence houses so, when I
http://tidd.ly/36486786
Provence Shutters by Eyeshoot Photography 
saw this set of four wooden coasters, I had to include them. The original images were captured by Manchester photographer Sarah Franklin for her Eyeshoot Photography shop. Sarah says that it is often the 'everyday and mundane' which will especially catch her eye and she loves to visit new locations both in the UK and overseas. Each coaster measures 9cm by 9cm and has a glossy finish to protect the artwork while ensuring the product is functional too.
The set of four coasters can grace your home for £19.50 plus shipping.

http://tidd.ly/becf15bb
Cafe, Provence by Gardner Watercolors 
It's over to Maryland, America for my third choice: a typical Provence cafe scene rendered in watercolour by William Gardner. We saw several establishments just like this one when we visited Arles yesterday and there is something just so unmistakably French about the scene. Gardner has travelled extensively in Europe so his Etsy shop, GardnerWatercolors, includes scenes of Italy, Switzerland and Denmark as well as various places in America. A life member of the Baltimore Watercolor Society, he has won over thirty awards for his work.
A limited edition print of the evocative cafe is for sale at £27 plus shipping.

The natural world is the focus of my last two choices and I love these
http://tidd.ly/26a274fe
Provence meadow with lavender earrings by SaltyArtUK 
needle felted earrings with their scene of lavender fields. I am always so impressed by needle felted work, especially as I am sure I would never have the patience for this art form myself. Felter Agnieszka Cebulak is based in London. She made these earrings from soft merino wool and has managed to pack an incredible amount of detail onto such tiny objects - the earrings measure just 5cm in height. After needle felting the earrings, Agnieszka then also wet felted them to make the final product more resistant to everyday wear.
The Provence meadow earrings are £7.99 plus shipping.

http://tidd.ly/990b99a1
Forcalquier, Provence by CBrownArtTextiles 
My final choice is a stunning piece of fabric art inspired by an evening walk in Forcalquier, Provence. Brighton based textile artist Caroline Brown has created this moonlit scene with painted calico to which she has appliqued silk chiffon and hessian before stretching it over canvas. I could gaze at this work for hours imagining myself right there! Caroline eschews machines for her art, preferring to work almost entirely by hand and has exhibited in several galleries including a solo show at the King Of Hearts Gallery in Norwich.
Forcalquier, Provence is priced at £168.99 plus shipping.

Thanks for reading this far (!) and I hope you enjoyed seeing my Provence art discoveries as much as I loved searching them out. Please feel welcome to add your favourite Etsy shops to the linkytool below or, if you would like to curate your own Top Five, linkup your blog post or pinterest board too. Items from any of the global Etsy sites are fine - it doesn't have to be Etsy UK. Link backs aren't essential although it would be appreciated if you do! I will keep the linky list open for three weeks and the twitter hashtag with which to catch my attention is #myetsyfive


No comments:

Post a Comment