Thursday, 4 June 2015

Purple Soup recipe

As we are moving on again today so there might not be much time for
blogging, I thought I would post a quick recipe. This one is for Purple Soup. Don't be alarmed! While this soup really does have a gorgeous colour, it is made from everyday ingredients and gets its royal hue from red cabbage. I'm not sure why it's called 'red' cabbage when the vegetable definitely is purple? I am going to put this recipe in for the Credit Crunch Munch challenge for June - the Credit Crunch Munch idea was first thought up by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All and our host for June is Jen's Food. As this recipe is also using up an ingredient that might otherwise have gone to waste, I am also submitting it to a new-to-me challenge: the No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

We often have a 'use up' vegetable soup for lunch as this is one of the
Purple soup - coloured with red cabbage 
best ways to get Dave to eat his veggies. For some reason he isn't keen on them as they are, but when pureed into a soup and served with hot buttered toast for dipping, he will tuck right in! This purple soup used up half a small red cabbage I had left over from accompanying my Leftover-Lamb Pie and I thickened the consistency by adding a couple of potatoes that were starting to get a little soft. For a completely vegetarian soup you could just substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock that I used.

Ingredients:
Splash of olive oil
1/2 an onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1/2 tsp powdered spice blend (like garam masala)
1/2 small red cabbage, finely sliced
Small potato, diced
750ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper

Briefly fry the onion and garlic in the oil until they begin to soften.

Add the powdered spice and stir in. I used Kush Cuisine Cocoa Spice Rub which has a delicious warming flavour, but I think any curry-type blend would work nicely.

Add the cabbage, potato and stock. Stir well, then cover the saucepan and simmer for up to about half an hour. The cooking time will depend on how finely you have sliced your ingredients because, basically, you want everything soft and mushable! We are very aware of energy consumption, living as we do in our caravan, so I tend to take a few minutes more on the preparation in order to save gas when cooking.

Puree with a hand blender until all ingredients are liquidised, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with buttered toast.

Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment