Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Arroz doce / rice pudding recipe

I remember Mum baking a rice pudding once, many years ago. It tasted good but was very runny and I don't think she ever attempted it again so, as a family, we returned to good old Ambrosia. On this trip, Dave and I bought an Arroz Doce (Sweet Rice) dessert in Portugal and I was sure I would be able to make it myself so Googled a caravan-friendly recipe. The Portuguese one is cooked with curls of lemon or orange zest which are then discarded prior to serving. Powdered cinnamon is then sprinkled over the top. For my version, I cook with a cinnamon stick and have dispensed with the zest.


Ingredients
96g risotto rice
400ml semi-skimmed milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Put the rice, milk, sugar and cinnamon into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. 
As soon as the milk boils, turn the heat right down so it carries on cooking at a gentle simmer. 
Stir every few minutes to stop the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan.
When practically all the milk has been absorbed and the rice is soft, the pudding is ready. This takes about half an hour. Remove the cinnamon stick and either serve immediately or put aside to cool and serve cold, depending on preference.

I'm using 'semidesnatada' UHT milk here in Spain. Fresh milk would be fine and I presume full-cream milk would result in a creamier pudding. The pictured pudding includes 3 tbsp of quite dark brown sugar. I've also made it with white sugar but only needed to add 2 tbsp to get the same sweetness. Dave insists on adding a tbsp of jam to his bowl before eating but I prefer mine with just the cinnamon taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment